Twinnies' 5th Birthday Celebration Part 2 - Castle Cakes

Continued from Twinnies' 5th Birthday... Celebration at home.

They wanted their Castle cake in pink with their favourite character as a center piece.

They let me decide on the cake flavour, thus I would like to take this opportunity to make something different - the Neapolitan cake (Vanilla, Strawberry & Chocolate) for both designs and sandwiched with Strawberry & Dark Chocolate Mousseline Buttercream.


Enya is always persistent with her decision, she told me that she wants Mickey & Minnie figurine. She even asked if I have the time to mould the Mickey & Minnie. She added " It's okay mommy, if not enough time then can just use the plastic toys"... so sweet of her (mmuacks!)

For my sweethearts, I will try my very best to make them happy. Immediately started my sugar work after the necessary research/reading with regards to the sugar figurines. She was so excited when she knows that I was doing it for her!

Here is my darling girl's sugar babies... 


My 1st attempt of making standing Mickey & Minnie sugar figurines. With reference to other talented sugar artists' work, hand-moulded according to the image. This is my first standing figurine, satisfying outcome. Nevertheless, to improve the body proportion and the support structurefor my future figurines.


For Minnie castle, I made the polka dots turrets and each turret top with a mini red ribbon bow as that's the trademark :)


Heart shape window with purple frame and gold sugar beads around it. Added the mini ribbon bow in front too hehe.



Minnie Castle Cake

Belle in a pink castle, Myra too wanted a sugar Belle figurine on top instead of plastic toy and she even mentioned that she wants Belle holding a rose. Sounded demanding hah? I am glad that my darling girls both have their own preference, and willing to tell me what they want when asked.  

Here she goes... Princess Belle with holding a rose ^^ 



Well, I am not good in moulding figurines and really need a lot of practice on this. I did not attend any class on moulding sugar figurines, self-taught by referring to books/internet.

Princess Belle Castle Cake

I decorated each turrets with a tiny heart shape on top and yellow ruffle around the bottom like Princess Belle gown design. Also, ruffle and rose on the front castle.


Frankly, I am kinda nervous and worry at first if I can make it... it's my 1st attempt. Not only twinnies were excited about their castle cakes, I am so so so extremely happy that I made it! 

The turrets really need to make it far in advance, this would ensure that the sugar are dry harden unless using styrofoam but I do not want to use styrofoam on the cake, thus I used the paper/kitchen towel roll as mould (lucky I always keep a few just in case if I would use it in future). 

Wanted to create a tutorial on my cake decorating process, but most of the time I was working alone and tends to forget to take picture on each step.  For these castle cakes, I only managed to take a few photos of the decorating progress as shown below.

Turrets & Cone

I bought a few styrofoam cone, I wrapped it with wax paper so that I can remove sugar cone out with ease after it's completely dried. Alternative, ice-cream cone can be used too!


Here is the tutorial on "How to make a Castle Cake" from Cake Journal, an awesome tutorial, love it!


After all, Castle Cake is not that difficult though :)

Thank you for stopping by & Happy Caking ^^

Comments

Popular Posts