Bite-size Red Velvet Cherry Cupcakes




Have not been blogging for almost a month, busy during Chinese New Year then my sweeties' start schooling. Blessed that they are behaving well and did not weep when reached kindy, they just started kindy life this year and we are glad to see both of them eager to learn. I am also reminding myself need to be more patient in guiding and teaching my two sweet angels ;-)

This post is about my try in baking the Red Velvet Cake without adding any artificial food coloring.

In order to satisfy my curiosity in testing both with and without food coloring, I made 2 batches. One, I used only beetroot juice. I personally think it's a success although the cake color turned out not as red as the one added with food coloring. It's sort of pink in color.

Before baking: Left with natural coloring

Second batch, I added beetroot and a tiny drop of red food coloring, its turned out red too! (meaning that we do not need to add the entire 1oz of red food coloring).












Spot the difference
I baked this small bite size of Red Velvet Cupcakes for my family gathering during Chinese New Year.



There are many Red Velvet Cake recipe out there, but I am in favor to Rose Levy Beranbaum's (recipe from her by replacing the artificial food coloring with natural coloring). Rose Levy Beranbaum is the award-wining author of nine cookbooks!


This time I added a cherry to each cupcake (yes, with cherry inside of the cake), then frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting and decorated with glazed cherry on top.

For my next try, I would like to try other fruit puree or juice (probably I would use Raspberry) to get the desired natural red color.

Welcome to share your findings if you have tried other natural way and Happy Baking! ^^

Comments

Popular Posts