Happy Mother's Day!


I can't recall if I have baked any cake for 2011 Mother's Day. This year, my best buddy requested for a chocolate cake (her favorite) to celebrate the wonderful occasion and thank her beloved mommy. This time around, I gave her an alternative i.e instead of the usual chocolate cake I baked for her, why not be more adventurous and try other non-traditional flavor... on the other hand I can improve my baking skills and expand resume of different cakes (hehehe).

While we were discussing on the flavour, she highlighted that a couple weeks ago she tried a yummy walnut cake bought in the market and her family like it as well. Walnut Cake it shall be then for 2012 Mother's Day celebration. 

Just like most people, I googled for a moist Walnut cake and searched for some decoration ideas. I want to make a yummy yet elegant looking cake for her beloved mommy!.. (hope I did meet their expectation ^^)

Voila~ here is the Motherly Love Cake ^^




Based on research, noticed that most walnut cake are called Coffee Cake - which means either the base cake are coffee flavored or the frosting are coffee or both.

The moist walnut cake uses sour cream (recipe adapted from Nigella's Website). This recipe is sufficient to make one 9-inch heart cake (for my buddy's mommy) and one 6-inch round cake - to be shared with my beloved mommy and myself ;-)
(Note: This recipe can be halved into two if you would like to bake for smaller size, two 6-inch round pan or one 9-inch round pan)

Chocolate Mousseline Buttercream (also called Italian Meringue Buttercream) frosting was for the 9-inch and make the Coffee Whipping Cream frosting for the 6-inch cake.

The little sweet hearts and roses, including the hand-piped wording are all made from Chocolate! (White & Dark)


A mother's heart is a patchwork of LOVE!



Verdict: Not too sweet, moist but the base cake is too 'heavy' i.e. to much cake. Preferably more walnuts.

Happy Baking & Happy Belated Mommy Day to all pretty mommies ^^
(please feel free to let me know if you would like to have the recipe for baking smaller size cake)


Comments

Popular Posts