My very 1st attempt of Doll Cake


This "assignment" have been in the KIV list for a very long time, I got to make it now (as a practice) because my two angels requested a princess cake for their birthday this year (in November). I want to give them the nice beautiful doll cakes! ;-)


Previously, I was in a dilemma of whether to attend a doll decorating class or getting myself a mold to try first? I went through some of the bloggers' experience and tutorial, some would recommended to get a mold (Wilton's wonder mold) to make it but some don't as we can always bake it using normal baking pan and carving it into the desired size.

Finally, I have decided to give it a try to bake using a smaller round pan and carve it to the deisred size.

I baked the cake in 4 inch round pan, in six colors layer cake. Stack, filled, and crumb coated then cover with fondant. Initially, I wanted to imprint the fondant but was too eager to cover it and totally forgotten about the impression mat! Only managed to do it for the torso.

After covering the fondant (my favorite yellow color, hehe), her dress seemed a bit too "skinny".. (too small). Since I have no specific decoration plan for this little sweetie, I decided to make a few fondant ruffle layers for her bottom dress. Hope she will look more pretty with it ;-)
(oh by the way, that's my 1st time in making fondant ruffles too.. I went thru this tutorial before making it, its not very difficult though ^^)








I am glad that the result was satisfying although the proportion of the body seemed to be a bit out.. a little too short (small) to match with the doll pick.

I believe that my next doll cake will be a much improved version.

I used the half of the Colorful Layer Cake recipe. Beautiful? ;)


Happy Baking & Thank you for stopping by ^^

Comments

Popular Posts