Pandan Layer Cake 香兰蛋糕


Always wanted to give a try in baking this natural fragrant cake - Pandan Layer Cake... :)

It has been sitting in my baking wish list for very long time because of not having the confident to bake it. I have browsed thru the recipes in the web, comparing with various recipes and finally I have the "courage" to bake it hehehe.

Sad that I failed my first experiment because I was too panoroid when seeing the layer cake is like soaking with the pandan jelly and it seems floating... Naive me that even trying to take it out or pressing it down and obviously its impossible to do so... its a disaster that day!... (sob~)

End up I threw the whole cake in the dustbin, sigh (well, I sat myself down and start reading again on other bakers' experience even go thru all the comments but still cannot get a clear step by step tutorial in showing the right consistency of the pandan jelly). However, the chiffon cake tasted nice... At least found a reliable recipe :)


The next day I baked again, this time I got the right consistency of the pandan jelly (yes!). I just cooked the pandan jelly a little bit longer than the first time. Most recipes will state that to cook the pandan jelly until thick, but to what extend of thick mixture is the right consistency?... I can't seem to find the answer that time. I got it right this time by stirring the mixture until a thick ribbon stage is achieved.

Used Green Hoe Kwe Flour

Well, this second attempt considered a success to me but need improvement in pouring it and layering the cake a bit quickly as the jelly dried out fast will not attach to the cake.

Used Organic Brown Sugar

When I'm googling for a pandan recipes, I found it here (used sponge cake mix), here (Sponge Cake with coconut milk & used corn starch for Pandan Jelly), and here (Pandan Chiffon Cake). I chose Pandan Chiffon for the base cake, I am glad that the chiffon cake texture is soft and tasty too!


The recipe, I made one 6-inch round and one 6-inch square. One batch of Pandan Jelly (600ml coconut milk with 500ml Pandan Juice) should be enough to cover two 6-inch round cakes. However, I cooked 2 batches of Pandan Jelly to cover these two cakes. Guessed I over-used for the square cake (4 layers as shown in the picture) or because the cake is larger and needed more Pandan Jelly.





Before proceeding to extract the pandan juice, I have read through a few talented bakers' blog here, here and here, they are generous in sharing their experience in how-what to expect.


I have experimented the followings:
1. Pandan chiffon cake with artificial pandan essence - the artificial pandan smell too strong, still prefer the natural way.
2. Pandan jelly used brown sugar - the jelly color a bit dull green (picture as above) and texture is softer as compared to the use of hoe kwe flour.
3. I am still prefer to use plain hoe kwe flour instead of green hoe kwe flour as I am using the concentrated  pandan juice and will get the natural greeny color.
4. Used the 1st batch of concentrated Pandan Juice to achieve greenier effect and stronger pandan smell.
5. Before layering with pandan jelly, do not forget to trim slightly the sides in order to fit into the same pan, the jelly will coat coat the sides. 

Pandan Jelly using Green Hoe Kwe Flour

 In two weeks, I have baked three of this cake to improve my skills :) and I gave away the cakes to my family and my close friend - Connie (she is one of my big supporter besides Mr.B and my two angels!)


Thank you for stopping by and happy baking!

Comments

  1. Hi, did you mind to share me the recipe? As I wanna make one of this cake by this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lina, the cake recipe link already shared in my post above. I referred the Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe. Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts