Lovey Red Velvet Cake


Have always been fascinated by the name Red Velvet, and wonder how it tastes and always curious about its making. Wanted to bake this cake for such a long time but the amount of red coloring required for the cake is my main concern.

Nonetheless, my hubby chose this cake for his birthday. Glad that there is an alternative ingredient to replace the artificial coloring - beetroots were the answer that I was looking for!

How did beetroots do its magic (I wonder)? I spent some time searching for more info from the net and thanks to all the passionate bakers/bloggers out there who shared their valued experience. I know I got to give it a try to satisfy my curiosity ;-)



For my very 1st attempt on Red Velvet Cake, we were extremely happy with the outcome ;-). Yes, I used beetroots (plus a few drops of food coloring - initially did not plan to put any but I can't fail because my hubby's birthday just two days away at the time of baking! So I must get the desired color right).

For my next try, I will use only beetroots and NO artificial coloring (I promised!). I think I will bake it for Chinese new year.. Soon ~


A little tips, the recipe called for a cup of buttermilk but unfortunately I can't get one in time. As such, I'd substituted it by mixing one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (yes, apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar) with low fat milk - add enough milk to bring the liquid up to one-cup line.

End Result: Its tasted moist and velvety, no taste of beetroots and cocoa powder.

Just to share, I used steamed grated beetroots and purée it. Then strained the purée to extract the juice, and pour it into a clean and dry container (preferably glass type). I make it very much earlier and keep it frozen until required. By the way, I kept the remaining purée and mix it with honey water. Its tasted delicious! Of course my twinnies love it too!

Thank you for stopping by ^^

Comments

Popular Posts